Friday, February 26, 2016

Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque, Brunei

well, my plans for tonight were somewhat different...but then this weather outside decided to take things in its own hands...and of course mess up with my plans.....so instead of having a few glasses of Yeni Raki with a friend, here I am with my cup of coffee, rambling...






And first comes a card from Brunei that Lai sent me as a surprise from his trip last year :)  This card is actually designed by him, while the image is by some guy, called Fairus Khafiz

- a trip to Brunei wouldn't be complete if one does not pay a visit to the magnificent Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddin Mosque, located in the capital of the country, Bandar Seri, Begawan. The most distinguishable feature of the mosque is its gold-plated main dome. Other materials used for the building include marble imported from Italy and carpets brought in from Saudi Arabia (from the back of the card...)


I have posted a similar Brunei card here, but I think it is from some different side...and I must admit I prefer the colours of the one above! just beautiful!!




Lai used a number of stamps, all featuring the Sultan Hassanal Bolkiah - if this guy is not on a separate stamp, he like appears in some corner on almost all the other Brunei stamps...and I complained about the Queen...the blue and the pink/violet ones were issued in 2007 in a set of 12 stamps.....the year of issue on the other stamp unfortunately remains a mystery to me...


thank you Lai for this lovely surprise and for taking the time to send me this card! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment