Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Cairo, Egypt

Well well well... look who's here!
Well, some days ago I received this FB notification telling me I havent posted anything on my page in a while...felt like some kind of warning, even though the notification didnt refer to this blog in particular, but it felt like some kind of red alert... plus Bryon has been "nagging" me to do so I think it is enough signs that something had to be done, haha

Though I sort of assume that some people thought I'd be back earlier now with this lock down and staying at home and that naturally it calls for going back to your neglected hobbies... but sadly... or not so sadly, turns out that my life doesnt differ too much now compared to the normal times when we could all move freely. I really dont know what to make from it honestly, and if I should be worried or not... though I must admit that my general life style has kinda eased this whole process of staying at home, though on the other hand being forced to do so has added more to my existing anxiety.

I dont know about you, but I have shown ZERO extra productivity during this month that I've been working from home. There are all these blah blah blah articles telling you how now is the right time to get down to all your hobbies and pursue all those things you've always wanted to but never had the time and clean or redecorate your house and whatever not... I dont know who are these people who have accomplished this, but it is certainly not me... I can only say that I have some extra time to cook more (which inevitably is followed by 'eat more' as well). And some more time to read books or watch movies / tv shows. But that would be it... nothing life changing or eye opening or accomplishing...it is literally the same as when I say to myself, oh, when I have a holiday and extra days off, I will do this, I will do that... and let me tell you, NOTHING of it gets done... NOTHING! So this shouldnt come as a surprise... just a pinch of disappointment. I even attempted some online courses, but found them so boring and unmotivating, so of course, just ditched them....

So how are YOU coping with all this? What is the situation where you live?
Right now we are into curfews after 4pm on weekdays and total curfew on weekends... useless measure if you are asking me. Thank God I live in a house and have a backyard so I can do all my work there (unless it is raining and cold like these past two days).
So I think that's how I've been able to keep myself sane, esp. since everything gets so quiet once the curfew is on, it is like resetting your mind (except when your idiotic neighbours wanna chat on skype with friends for hours and they have to do it from the comforts of their backyard as well, so that the entire neighbourhood can listen to their moronic and banal converstations... seriously, they managed to ruin my weekend, both days.. two failed attempts to read in my backyard... well it is not the first time that they've shown their manners...



So, lets not forget that this is actually a postcard blog before anything else, so it would make sense to show some cards to and I'll get back to being chatty in the following posts :p

The first card for today comes from Jean Pierre, showing the Citadel in Cairo, which is a medieval Islamic-era fortification, built by Salah ad-Din (Saladin) and further developed by subsequent Egyptian rulers. It was the seat of government in Egypt and the residence of its rulers for nearly 700 years from the 13th to the 19th centuries.

At the time of its construction, it was among the most impressive and ambitious military fortification projects of its time. It is now a preserved historic site, including mosques and museums.

In 1976, it was proclaimed by UNESCO as a part of the World Heritage Site Historic Cairo (Islamic Cairo) which was "the new centre of the Islamic world, reaching its golden age in the 14th century."

(made me realize that it's been two years since I've posted a UNESCO site.. though taking into account the frequency of my posts, this actually ain't that bad...)



Two stamps on the card, both issued in 2019 - the one on the left commemorates the 46th Anniversary of the Great October Victory (commemorating the day when combined Egyptian military forces launched a surprise attack on Israel and crossed into the Sinai Peninsula and regained much of their land lost in 1967 war.)
The other stamp commemorates the 150th Anniversary of the Birth of Mahatma Gandhi, 1869-1948.

Thanks a lot to Jean Pierre for this lovely surprise in my mailbox!

2 comments:

Bryon D said...

Well well well, welcome back Ana! So glad to see you here once again even if the periodic nagging assisted in getting you in front of your keyboard once again! Similar here, getting a lot more walks and exercise in but balancing all that with increased experimentation at the kitchen stove! Love the Ghandi stamp. He was featured on two US stamps in 1961.

Ana said...

seems the "nagging" did play its part, haha :)

Post a Comment