Monday, January 13, 2014

Roatán Island, Honduras

Hello all! Another Monday, another start of the week...and after giving us some peace, the fog has found its way to come back and torment us in a dense manner...and i dont know if it is due to all this weather, but ive been feeling really under it, with total lack of energy or desire to do anything...except sleep of course...but lets not get overcome with such thoughts and get down to some mail (I promised I will try to get better in posting updates here).
Last time I posted, I had this hope that the next day the postman will come and bring me bunch of mail after ignoring me for a while...but of course, he didn't come on that day, nor the next one, nor the next one...he ignored me till Saturday...and surprised me with a somewhat full mailbox (not a record-breaker though), and among else, brought me two new countries, written and stamped! Yippie!! So I just forgave him immediately for passing me by for days =)
One of them is right here! My first written and stamped card from Honduras! At last! I never thought I would be getting one ever! I have a bunch of blank cards from there, but now I can brag with a written and stamped one too! And all that thanks to the Glenn postcard fairy =)  ( I hope that people who are regular contributors with surprise postcards, don't mind when I call them fairies, but to me, it really feels like that when I find such gems in my mailbox =))
What a great way to start the 2014 label :)



and it is such a lovely card too! clear blue skies! something ive been missing for over a month here!
The Roatán Island is the largest of Honduras' Bay Islands and was formerly known as Ruatan and Rattan. It is approximately 77 kilometres long, and less than 8 kilometres across at its widest point.

Funny trivia:
English is the first language of all native islanders regardless of race and Spanish is spoken second, whereas mainland Honduras is primarily Spanish speaking. It remains this way because of the islands' past as a British colony with descendants of the British Isles.


ta-daaaa! the stamps and the cancellation (it may not be perfectly clear postmarks, but you can surely read Honduras, and Oficina Roatan)
The stamp on the left is from a set of two issued in 2008, commemorating the 100th Anniversary of the Death of Juan Ramon Molina. The other one commemorates Pope John Paul (just a bit confused if it was issued in 2005 or 2006)

Thanks a lot again Glenn! Love this card!

No comments:

Post a Comment