Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mayon Volcano, Philippines

Hmmm...sometimes i think im overestimating myself with this every-day-update thing...but at least im trying :)

This really lovely card comes directly from the Philippines and shows the Mayon Volcano - a beautiful and symmetrical cone shaped volcano located in Albay province. Even though this volcano is very active at the moment, tourists keep coming, since they are fascinated by its almost perfect cone shape. Right now the Level 2 alert is in force due to the increased volcano activity in June and July. It is the most active volcano in the Philippines, having erupted 49 times in the past 400 years.
The current cone was formed through pyroclastic and lava flows from past eruptions.

The most destructive eruption of Mayon occurred on February 1, 1814. Lava flowed but not as much compared to the 1766 eruption. Instead, the volcano was belching dark ash and eventually bombarding the town with tephra  that buried the town of Cagsawa - only the bell tower of the town's church remained above the new surface.

Hmmm, it IS fascinating, this nature created thing...but i certainly wouldnt want to live near one...

this is a prepaid postcard...with  a lovely matching prepaid stamp....i guess these arent in the philatelic databases so i wont go and look up the information....the truth is, i feel rather lazy...and cranky :)

4 comments:

Chris Overstreet said...

Don't feel obligated to post every day; then it becomes a chore. It's supposed to be fun! Post when you feel like posting.

I'm sorry you're cranky, but you definitely made my day today! Thanks for the surprise in my mailbox.

viridian said...

I tried posting every day for awhile. But I have a small postcard collection. Now I try to post at least twice a week. Love the volcano - and yes living near one can be very dangerous, if it shows activity.

ulvikaru said...

Dear Ana!
It is pleasure to read updates in your blog and see all those amazing cards. But keep it as a fun. :) Although I know how hard it is when you can'd upload some cards. :)

And I didn't went to Iceland lately. I was there already some yeard ago and found a card I sent then to my mother. :) I wouldn't forget you if I were there now. :)

Have a great evening! :)

Bradpetehoops said...

The most perfect cone in the world. Perfecto cono! The twin sister of Mt. Fuji in Japan.

Post a Comment