Thursday, May 19, 2016

Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, Turkey

Ok, just one more card for today...I don't wanna be overwhelming you so much, but just thought I'd post this one since after I posted this FDC, I recalled I should have another Atatürk card somewhere, and i wasn't mistaken :)


Well, today it is like 135 years since Atatürk's birth, the most worshiped man of Turkey.
I have already done a post about him here, so I wouldn't be repeating myself. However, I wanted to share with you a video which is kinda related to him since among else, Atatürk' introduced a new alphabet for the written Turkish language based on a modified Latin alphabet.
The new Turkish alphabet would serve as a replacement for the old Arabic script and as a solution to the literacy problem in Turkey. On 1 November 1928 he introduced the new Turkish alphabet and abolished the use of Arabic script. At the time, literate citizens of the country comprised as little as 10% of the population.
After the introduction of the new alphabet, it is said that the literacy has reached 70%!

Here is the video I had mentioned, referring to the Turkish language.





the stamp was issued in 2009 and is a joint issue between Turkey and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Ok, that would be all for today. Ok, I admit I'm in a bit of a hurry, meeting some friends in a while.
Anyways, hope you liked today's choice :)

So long!

No comments:

Post a Comment