Monday, August 20, 2012

Asenova Krepost, Bulgaria

always happy to receive written and stamped cards from Bulgaria since I do not get them very often :)


I got this one thanks to the thread I opened at the forum (and re-opened just today). So in case you think you can help me out with my favourite postcards, drop me a line :)
This great card shows Asen's Fortress, situated 2km south of Asenovgrad (grad = city), on a high rocky ridge on the left bank of the Asenitsa River.  The best preserved part of the fortress is the church Holy Mother of God from Petrich - 12th - 13th century. Close to it, there is an inscription by tsar Ivan Asen II.




the stamp on the right was issued in 2009, commemorating the 130th Anniversary of Sofia's Proclamation as Capital of Bulgaria. the other one is from a set of 6 definitives issued in 1999 representing Historical sites, fountains...
thanks a lot to Lilia for the great card!

No comments:

Post a Comment