Friday, December 16, 2011

Kampong Ayer, Brunei Darussalam

Last time it was Bahrain, now it is Brunei, another "B" country gets ticked off the list :)

I was lucky enough to enter the Brunei group in the Vacations RR..and here is what I got, an AWESOME card (I think actually that all of the Brunei cards ive seen are not less fantastic). Plus it didnt take to travel long, like two weeks....
The card here says to be showing Kampong Ayer, the largest water village...and at the front you can also spot a water taxi.
This water village is actually an area of the Brunei's capital, Bandar Seri Begawan. All of the Water Village buildings are constructed on stilts above the Brunei River.
Although it is classified as one village, it is actually a cluster of 42 smaller villages, interconnected by 18 miles of foot bridges.
In the background you can also see the Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque whose most recognizable feature, the main dome, is covered in pure gold. Well, with the Bruneian golden era, this comes as no surprise.

boy, stamps with no year printed on them give me a real headache...as if I didnt already have one...I dont know if it is coz of the weather or something else, but ive been enduring headaches two days in a row now...
Luckily, I managed to locate this one...a definitive from a set of 12 issued in 1985....im often surprised to see such stamps still being in circulation.

Thanks a million to Kate from Russia for enriching my collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment