Sunday, August 22, 2010

Cambodia

Well, here is a nice start of the day....though it's 1pm...but being that i got up like an hour ago, and still having my coffee, it is yet a start of the day for me indeed...ive never been a morning person....esp. not on weekends...

Oh yeah, another map card :))) A fantastic one, from the faraway Cambodia! And from what I can see, at each place that is shown on this card, you can see the typical housings or what people do for living (fishing, crops, rice etc...) On the very right you can see 3 people, which according to me (meaning I dont guarantee it's right) are dressed in some traditional Cambodian clothing...and a few elephants walking around, and from what I read, this is supposed to be The Indian Elephant is the main type of Asian elephant found in Cambodia.
The famous Angkor Wat is on the very left top part....

When I once was mailing an envelope to Cambodia, the postal clerk who was working there, first stared at it for a bit, and then in a victorious but yet uncertain way said "Canada!"....I guess she was hoping to figure out whats written on the envelope without seeming as if she was clueless (and to make it clear, my handwriting may get sloppy in letters or the text on the cards but when it comes to addresses i always write them as clearly as possible in order to avoid misplacement or missending of mail). Anyway, there was another postal clerk who came and put on her glasses and then they BOTH stared at the letter trying to decipher it, me just standing there, sort of laughing, but refusing to solve their riddle...I am mean, I know, but I really have fun with clueless postal clerks....and eventually the second lady who came, said, 'ooohh Cambodia'....yeeeeyy!! she got it!
I still can bet they werent sure if they knew where that exactly was...I wonder what would happen if I hand them in an envelope going to Guernsey and Alderney or Akrotiri and Dhekelia for example....that would be an alarming state...even though they both are in Europe...

Id love to dedicate this post to my dear Zarah, whose delicious coffee im having right now, and thank her for it once again, and thank her for being there for me when ive been having those 'nervous breakdowns' during the tennis matches :)

The stamp is from a set of 7 definitives issued in 1998, dedicated to archaeology.

3 comments:

Vagirl said...

Awesome card:)

Anonymous said...

I want to set up(2)groups of about 5 people per group to do a postcard round robin with. i will welcome members internationally, basically each envelope that is passed around the group will contain 6 postcards. you will take out the ones you want to keep and replace with the same amount. then you will pass it on to ...the next person. i will include a flight sheet so you know where to send it to. let me know

oh awesome card here

Sreisaat said...

I may be late in reading this but better late than never. Thank you, amiga, for the special mention :) You are most welcome - and the feeling (companionship,friendship) is mutual. I will continue to be your "partner" in watching edge-of-the-seat tennis matches. Soon, we will find ourselves seated together watching live matches :)

As for the card - lucky you - I've never had a Cambodian map card. I wonder who the sender is (I'm going to bug him if I know him) and where the heck did he get this rare postcard beauty. I'll do anything to get one for myself!

Cheers, amiga!

Post a Comment