Sunday, June 26, 2011

Linz an der Donau, Austria

I got this card for the Autria vs world tag, and it shows the city of Linz...so rather different than the majority of Austrian cards I have in my collection (it is my own fault for the large quantity of Vienna cards)


the card shows the city square in Linz...which immediately reminds me of our city square and the construction works being done to it, but I wouldnt open that story right now....here, from left to right you can see the city hall, the old cathedral and the Holy Trinity pillar, which is 20m tall, marble carved in 1723 to commemorate the town's deliverance from war, fire and plague.


two stamps used on the card...the one on the left is one more common stamp, issued in 2007 in a set of 5 flower stamps, depicting Scotch Laburnum. The other stamp is a really great one, issued in 2009, representing Austrians in Hollywood, and here you can see Fred Zinnemann, an Austrian-American film director.  

1 comment:

Ivan B. Fall said...

The City Square is Beautiful. I was there in the 1970's and will never forget it. I would like to correspond with someone from Linz. It is a
wonderful Country and I would like to know more about it.

Post a Comment