Friday, December 24, 2010

Meryemana, Turkey

A card from Turkey which shows something different from the usual cards I see from here...

It shows the Meryemana, or in English, The House of Virgin Mary....which is a Christian and Muslim shrine located on Mt. Koressos.
Some believe that Mary, the mother of Jesus, was taken to this stone house by Saint John and lived there until her Assumption (according to Catholic doctrine), or Dormition (according to Orthodox belief).

I guess another sort of appropriate card for today, coz it is related to Jesus...though honestly, it didnt even cross my mind about it corresponding anyhow with Christmas when choosing what to post today...im telling you, i have this odd random card-choosing that end up coinciding with something....

So next time you go to Turkey, I guess you should also put this on your to-visit list...I kind of like visiting those not so commercialized and advertised places, and this one, at least here, hasnt been talked about much...here you will mostly hear about those summer destinations, and Hagia Sophia, Pamukkkale....Ive rarely seen for example Cappadocia been advertised either...so thats why these places attract me and I want to see them....


the stamp is from a set of 16 issued this year, from the "Istanbul 2010 European Capital of Culture" issue, showing architecture in this ciry.

No comments:

Post a Comment