Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Blaenau Ffestiniog, Wales

Dear Anu sent me this beautiful card from Wales, cos she realised I lacking cards from there!




This beautiful snowy scene reminds me that we had our first snow of the year on April 1st! Yep, real April Fools Day! Of course, being that it's spring and all, it didn't last, but it certainly added more to the overall craziness going around here.

Blaenau Ffestiniog is a historic mining town in Wales, with a population of 4,875 according to the 2011 census. However, was at one time the second largest town in North Wales.

After reaching 12,000 at the peak development of the slate industry, the population fell with the decline in the demand for its slate. Today the town relies heavily on tourists, who come for attractions that include the nearby Ffestiniog Railway and Llechwedd Slate Caverns.

Ok, I think I would definitely want to go here, being that there is a Railway (which is located within a national park, so it must be beautiful!)


And what can I say to such a lovely choice of stamps!
The train stamp is from the 2013 set showing the Classic Locomotives of Northern Ireland, while the other one is from a set of four Paintings from 1973, showing a painting by Sir Joshua Reynolds, and his portrait of Nelly O'Brien. I tried really hard to see if what she is holding in her hands is a puppy or some toy or piece of clothing..

Thank you so much Anu for thinking of me as always! 🖤

No comments:

Post a Comment