Friday, March 29, 2019

Holetown, Barbados

An extremely slow day at work, I mean extremely! So it calls for doing at least something useful now, doesnt it? I mean for sure I'm not gonna do it over the weekend...

And on today's menu we again have a few cards that have arrived during these three months of 2019.

So here we go...


First a card from Glenn, one of the regular readers and contributors to my collection!
Here is a card from his last cruise, from his stop in Barbados.




The card shows us a few images of Holetown, a small town located in the parish of Saint James on the sheltered west coast of the island.
In 1625, Holetown (formerly known as St. James Town) was the site of initial English settlement of Barbados and the Island's oldest church, St. James Parish Church (which i believe is shown on the bottom left image), was erected here in 1628, a year after the first settlers landed.




a nice choice of stamps!
The three ones on the right are from a set of 20 issued in 2016, commemorating Centenarians of Barbados (that is a lot of centenarians!), and here you can see, from left to right, Edith Vimetta St. Clair Wilkinson, Beatrice Gertrude Carrington and Vera Elaine Gibbs. So the reason they have deserved their spot on these stamps is that they have got to live for over one hundred years... which my oh my, sounds kinda scary.. I dont know if I would like to live THAT long :))

The last, fourth stamp, is from a set of four issued in 1982, commemorating the 21st Anniversary of the Birth of Princess of Wales.... or better known as Diana. Here she is shown with Earl Spencer Proceeding up the aisle (if the name doesnt ring a bell, he is actually Diana's younger brother). And dont wanna play a smart ass here, but I actually had no idea either until I googled him :D

Thank you Glenn for the great card and stamps!

No comments:

Post a Comment