Sunday, July 6, 2008

Minsk, Belarus

Here comes my first card from Belarus....I wonder if i should be thankful to the USSR for going apart and give me much more states to have to collect than just one...

This comes from the capital, Minsk.....Minsk, I like it....I like the way it sounds, somewhat cool....reminds me of one of the episode of "Friends" when Phoebe fell for this scientist guy, it was David I think...who had to go to Minsk coz he and his friend got a grant for some kind of a research there....and how they had to leave for Minsk, January 1st....the departure was the sad part, but I always laughed at Phoebe's reaction to Minsk, and it made me laugh how they were so excited for going to Minsk...which im sure, especially back then, many people have never heard of it before (Phoebe definitely hadnt :))
now, im not sure when this episode of Friends was shot, since they say there that Minsk is in Russia...but as far as I know, Belarus got independence in 1990/91....the first season of Friends (this episode is from the first season) was shot at 1993....so we have a weird gap here....purpose or pure ignorance...I dont know....but in one of the later episodes, when David comes back from Minsk, they still refer to it as in Russia...this actually reminds me i should put some "Friends" on and have a laugh :)

Regarding the card, I like it a lot....coz of the fountains...I love fountains....the ones you can see here are along Lenin Street, where the buldings are around 100 years old...

Minsk...I definitely like the name....along with another capital from the former USSR countries....well, im not telling, you'll have to wait till I get a card from there...which so far, isnt in sight....

No comments:

Post a Comment