Saturday, May 23, 2009

Berlin, Germany

Here is a card with some special thrill....I hope this wont sound wrong or creepy, but memorial centres and cemeteries are fascinating me...I dont know...they have some sort of tranquility note that eases me in a certain kind of way...i dont think i can explain it properly, so i wont try to do so...otherwise,  i will tangle up myself in my own flow of thoughts :)

Here you can see the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, situated in Berlin also known as the Holocaust Memorial since its a commemoration to the Jews murdered in the Holocaust.
According to Eisenman's project text, the stelae are designed to produce an uneasy, confusing atmosphere, and the whole sculpture aims to represent a supposedly ordered system that has lost touch with human reason. A 2005 copy of the Foundation for the Memorial's official English tourist pamphlet, however, states that the design represents a radical approach to the traditional concept of a memorial, partly because Eisenman did not use any symbolism. An attached underground "Place of Information"holds the names of all known Jewish Holocaust victims, obtained from the Israeli museum Yad Vashem.

I think i will definitely add Memorials and Cemeteries to my wishlist....

No comments:

Post a Comment