Sunday, May 1, 2011

Eagle Beach, Aruba

well, today was supposed to be a rainy day with storms and thunders and hence the picnic/trip I planned for today was postponed for tomorrow...but apart from the grey skies, not other sign of bad weather has appeared....so I feel cheated by the weather forecast AGAIN...coz instead of spending time in the fresh air, im stuck at home...and I fear that the rain will come tomorrow and spoil tomorrow's plans as well (since it is Labour day, tomorrow is a public holiday) but lets see if tomorrow is gonna trick me as well...

anyways, in the middle of the other things im supposed to do, lets post a few cards....coz i dont know when will be the next time ill be able to do so.
First comes a card from Glenn...and another stop of his cruise...and this time it is Aruba....envious?? me?!!! naaaah :P



The card gives us a glimpse of the Eagle Beach and a Divi Divi Tree....interesting name for a tree, you cant deny that.
The Divi Divi tree is Aruba's own unique tree that grows on the island's shoreline. Its growth and shape are formed by the gentle and steady trade winds. - Thats what the back of the card says. Google says that this tree is the national tree of Curaçao and is also very common and popular on Aruba, while another website says that the tree is almost a national symbol on Aruba, Bonaire and Curaçao. So go figure...
Makes me wonder if certain information are as such due to the lack of knowledge or being biased ..

it is also said that the true divi-divi has inconspicuous but fragrant blossoms and that this evergreen is capable of growing to 30 feet. In the islands the branches of the famous divi divi trees always point to the west. The trees were bent in that direction by the constant trade winds , which blow east to west.

The divi-divi has thick curled pods rich in tannin. At one time the pods were exported from Aruba to Germany and Holland for tanning leather.You can use the pods for shining the dust off your leather shoes.

The divi-divi was imported from Africa because over millions of years it evolved elaborate defenses against herbivores such as the goats that maraude the Dutch ABCs.

Goats avoid divi-divis because the tough-looking bark has a high concentration of tannic acid, which destroys an important protozoan herbivores need for digestion


and here are the two stamps on the card...they were issued in 2007 and they show Kapel Alto Vista

thank you so much Glenn for another special surprise!

1 comment:

Gabrielle said...

I signed into Postcrossing today and what did I see? Your name on the homepage! When I saw it, I was like, "The name username looks really familiar." Then I saw Macedonia and I knew it had to be you. How neat.

How have you been? I wanted to keep it a secret, but it's been awhile now and maybe it got lost or something - but I sent you a postcard from Shanghai. Maybe it will show up one of these days . . . as long as the address you gave me is still the same.

Post a Comment