Monday, July 11, 2016

St. Peter Port, Guernsey

Isn't it ironic? I so much bragged and went over and over about how often I end up posting here and whatever not, and then just all of a sudden I go silent for like over a month....just like that!
No particular excuse except that I've been lazy and that this heat has been killing me and that frankly I've been feeling quite apathetic when it comes to postcards and all...yeah, I get that way sometimes, wondering what's the point of it all (I usually get like that when finance-wise I cannot really dedicate myself to it, so I just get all down wondering when am I going to be able to get back on track again...oh well, who knows...few days ago, on the spur of the moment (I admit I was chasing a particular ID), I got a number of addresses, but I think this will be my last batch for a while - which does not look good for the stats of Macedonian postcrossers at all since it seems that the majority of members there are inactive - not that long ago Macedonia was ranking like 65th on most sent cards, and now it is 68th....with the prospects of being surpassed by Costa Rica in the VERY near future (CR is only 9 postcards behind...).

So, after such an intro, let's get down to business :)




First comes a card that arrived not so long ago, sent by one of my fairies (well, all cards today are fairy-cards) - this one on behalf of Jean Pierre and his recent trip to St. Peter Port in Guernsey. (am I the only one who feels as if an apostrophe is missing in there?)
I have only had one post about Guernsey so far and it was also about St Peter Port....but in a way from the opposite side. If you take a look at this other card here you will notice that the picture is taken from somewhere inside the waters. However, on the card above, the image is taken from some spot inside the capital, which is kinda cool you know, to have both sides of the story...which reminds me of an article I've read recently about this guy who is taking pictures of famous monuments BUT from the opposite side - you know, he stands in front of the monument, turns around for 180 degrees and takes a picture of what is on the other side of that famous landmark. You can check out his works at his website - lets see if you have ever noticed what's on the other side (provided you have visited some of these places)




really nice stamps and a really cool postmark! It reads "Victor Hugo - Toilers of the Sea" (which refers to a famous novel by the author, published in 1866, so I guess this kinda commemorates 150 years since its publishing. I have to admit that this one is not on my 'have already read' list....
As for the stamps...the one on the right is from the SEPAC set of 2015 consisting of 6 stamps showing works from different Guernsey Artists (this one in particular shows the Grand Rocques Old Fort by Ethel Cheeswright. The other one is from a set of 10 flora stamps issued in 2009.

Thanks a lot Jean Pierre! (take 1)

No comments:

Post a Comment