Sunday, March 29, 2015

Ghana

Well well well....look who has decided to wake up from her winter sleep! After more than two months!
Seriously, Ana, what's your excuse this time? Hm?? Cos first hand I know you haven't been that busy, so you better not give us that this time!

Hm, yeah well....honestly, I don't know how time flew so quickly and where did these past two months go. I've been busy, but not to such an extent as to not be able to write anything here. I've had busier periods and still somehow managed to battle on all fronts...but this time I guess it would be just lack of inspiration and the overall winter kind of depression...I don't know..but lately I've often found myself unwilling to do anything, sometimes even didn't feel like getting out of bed...but like with anything else, a time comes when one needs to draw the line, so I guess I'll be drawing mine here when it comes to the overall silence this time...

And for that occasion I have this great card that's actually marking a new w/s country in my collection :D
I do have one blank card from Ghana, posted long long time ago....so it was about time to shift the status from blank to w/s =)





I received this plus another one (yep, I got two w/s cards from Ghana now :D) from a very kind person called Hardy to whom I owe a million of thank yous for enriching my collection with such a card!
The card actually should represent the flag of Ghana, just that instead of the black star in the middle, here is a picture of Kwame Nkrumah who was the leader of Ghana and its predecessor state, the Gold Coast, from 1951 to 1966. He became the first Prime Minister of the Gold Coast in 1951, and led it to independence as Ghana in 1957, becoming the new country's first Prime Minister. After Ghana became a republic in 1960, Nkrumah became President. An influential 20th-century advocate of Pan-Africanism, he was a founding member of the Organisation of African Unity and was the winner of the Lenin Peace Prize in 1963. He saw himself as an African Lenin.
It is said that the statement he had made was true and relevant at the time it was made and is even more relevant in modern times albeit in a different context. Nkrumah took steps to ensure that the foregoing statement became a reality. Although some of the steps he took towards achieving a united Africa were criticised, the man went to the extent of getting married to a non Ghanaian to demonstrate his commitment to this cause.

Hardy paraphrased this, saying that "The independence of a person is meaningless unless it is linked with the total liberation of the rest of the humanity"

There is some food for thought and it's up to you to agree or disagree with it.




I like it that the stamp bears not just the same colours as the card, but also the image of Kwame Nkrumah (just a pity the cancellation is somewhat smudged).
Issued to commemorate the centenary of his birth (1909-2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment