Saturday, June 28, 2014

Izmir, Turkey

next card comes from a recent swap with Didem and is my first card from Izmir...at least on the blog......




the card shows (according to the correct definition), the esplanade in Izmir..personally, my first guess would have been that this is a port, but when i take a better look, I would say it is a promenade...well, promenade, esplanade, more or less it is the same...and in case someone comes across the word 'esplanade' for the first time (as I have), here is the definition: It is a long, open, level area, usually next to a river or large body of water, where people may walk. The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress' guns. In modern usage the space allows people to walk for recreational purposes; esplanades are often on sea fronts, and allow walking whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach

as long as bicycles are allowed, I dont have any problem with esplanades, or promenades or whatever :)




unfortunately, no stamp...I think the Turkish cards rank quite high on my list of cards with no stamps but labels/red prints instead...pity

No comments:

Post a Comment