Thursday, March 21, 2013

Clarke Quay, Singapore

Next comes an official from Singapore I received this year, and which in a way is a bit different from the rest of the Singaporean cards I have...at least I think so..


SG-94437

the card shows the Clarke Quay, which is a historical riverside quay in Singapore, located within the Singapore River Planning Area.
It was named after Sir Andrew Clarke, Singapore's second Governor and Governor of the Straits Settlements from 1873 to 1875, who played a key role in positioning Singapore as the main port for the Malay states of Perak, Selangor and Sungei Ujong (I cant say I have any idea who this guy was, and I actually thought this dated from some more modern times, not from something over a century ago...though if you listen to Wiki, it will tell you that modern Singapore was founder in 1819....figures....
I really like the umbrella-like objects just next to the river..feels like a really nice place to go out for a glass of wine and dinner on a summer evening...supposing that these are cafés or restaurants...but thats what they look like to me at least

and the Snake stamps have been quite a fuss lately, too bad the Macedonian postal service does not issue any of these Chinese Zodiac stamps, even though Im rather reserved about the quality of the images they may produce in the end :). Singapore issued 3 snake stamps in the set, and this is just one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment