Sunday, July 24, 2011

Thailand

Next comes a map card I received back in 2009.


It is one of those very nice antique-kind of maps and this one shows the Kingdom of Siam, which is actually the name of Thailand before 24 June 1939 and again from 8 September 1945 to 20 July 1949

Here you can also see shown the Islands of Sumatra and Java as well as the Kingdom of Cambodia...as well as a glimpse of the Kingdom of Pegu (in what today is supposed to be Myanmar), China and Tonquin (which are both considered as part of Vietnam) and the K. of Chiampa (which is a region somewhere between Cambodia and Vietnam).
Quite a division they have had.....confusing for someone who doesnt actually have a good hold of today's geography and history...yeah yeah, I know...skipping lessons and not paying attention thereto in school.
But I have my cards to give me an insight and enlighten me...so see why postcards' collection is a valuable investment? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment