Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pitsunda cathedral, Abkhazia

Do I hear someone's teeth cringe? :D Well, let me spoil the surprise right away for you...the card aint written and stamped :) Though if all the cards from Abkhazia are like this, I doubt anyone could send them written and stamped....you know, the ones which have text all over the back and it aint possible to write a name or address...



This is the Pitsunca Cathedral, a Georgian Orthodox Cathedral located in Pitsunda, in the Gagra district of the de facto independent Republic of Abkhazia, internationally recognised to constitute a part of Georgia.
You will pardon me, but the comprehension of the politics and the countries' divisions and recognitions, dont go well with me....all I know is that Abkhazia (along with South Ossetia and Transnistria) seem fascinating to me....places I know soo little of, or almost nothing.

Pitsunda Cathedral was built at the end of the 10th century by King Bagrat III of Georgia. It served as the seat of the Georgian Orthodox Catholicate of Abkhazia until the late 16th century when Abkhazia came under the Ottoman hegemony. The cathedral contains vestiges of wall-painting from the 13th and the 16th centuries.

Looks like a lovely place, surrounded with nice nature!

No comments:

Post a Comment