Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sigiriya, Sri Lanka

My second card from Sri Lanka ever...should i mention that i received my first one over ten years ago? So yeah, this is a little gem in my collection...moreover its counted as a UNESCO site! (the Ancient City of Sigiriya, if you want me to be more precise)
Here in particular, you can see frescoes, dating from the 5th Centruy AD.
About this particular site, it has been said that: "The whole face of the hill appears to have been a gigantic picture gallery... the largest picture in the world perhaps".
Although the frescoes are classified as in the Anuradhapura period, the painting style is considered unique, the line and style of application of the paintings differing from Anuradhapura paintings.
There are references in the graffiti to 500 ladies in these paintings. However, many more are lost forever, having been wiped out when the Palace once more became a Monastery so that they would not disturb meditation. Some more frescos different from the popular collection can be seen elsewhere on the rock surface, for example on the surface of the location called the "Cobra Hood Cave".

I like this card for a number of reasons...first, its from Sri Lanka....even though i appreciate and love all my cards coz what actually matters more to me is the thought and whats on the back of it, truth is,  we all have a weak spot for rare countries, and Sri Lanka can definitely be considered as one.
And this is a kind of a card which makes me read and read and look for information...cards which enlighten me in any kind are more than worthy.
Thanks a million to Ravi for sending it to me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow Ana, I got a very similar card from Sri Lanka last week, my first one from there! :D
nice blog, btw.
hugs xx Ula

- said...

This is a very beautiful card from a nice country!

Post a Comment