Thursday, January 22, 2009

Irish Writers

My first card from Ireland couldnt have been more special and more perfect! I so much wanted to have a postcard which will be somehow related to Oscar Wilde, and eventually i came across a postcard not just with Wilde but with a number of other Irish writers as well...i feel ecstatic!!! 

Here, apart from Oscar, who is one of my all time favourites, you can see a number of other prominent writers, like Yeats, Beckett, Joyce, Shaw, Synge, O'Casey and Kavanagh. I studied about most of them at university, and frankly i dont really recall much regarding the autobiographies coz it was always annoying to have to learn so many dates and titles, but i definitely recall their works.
I have a great itch to actually get into details about each and every one of them, but thats gonna take way to much writing and i dont think any of you would manage to go through it all :)
So, ill just say that out of all of them, Oscar Wilde is my favourite, esp his "The Picture of Dorian Gray"....Dorian Gray has got to be one of the greatest books i had ever read, which had left such a deep impact on me...if you hadnt read it, i highly highly highly recommend that you do so!
I also love his "The importance of being Ernest" and the symbollism revolving around "Ernest"....One of the works i hadnt read is "Salome" which i hope to find and read soon....
As for the others, I would definitely recommend "Pygmalion" by Shaw..."Ulysses" and "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" by Joyce....if you are interested in poetry you can also take a look at their poems....
I should do a revision as well, and re-read many of their works...but i definitely recommend that you give them a chance as well....
Mmmmm....does anyone have a postcard related to Shakespeare...Byron...Arthut Miller...Schlink...?? If you do, can you please send me one? Thanks in advance

3 comments:

Sreisaat said...

This is fantastic, Ana! All the great Irish writers in one postcard - now how good is that? I would have ask this for myself too :)

P.S. I enjoyed Dorian Gray as well!

Postcards Crossing

Gabby Girl said...

I've got "The Picture of Dorain Gray laying around here somewhere. Been meaning to read it forever.

Ana said...

Gabe, you definitely should!!! :)

Post a Comment