Thursday, December 25, 2008

Arctic Circle

Well, before anything, i would like to wish each and everyone of you who celebrates it today, a very Merry Christmas! I hope its been a nice one for you and that you've spent it with the people you love, care for and feel close to.
As for me, Christmas doesnt come here until the 7th of January, so its just another ordinary working day :)
But once New Year comes, ill have a short off-working time and hopefully ill get to rest and relax at least a bit, and of course make more regular updates as well :)
This is my second card related to the Arctic Circle and i absolutely love it...moreover coz this one has flags on it and in general feels very apppealing to me.
In particular, this card shows the area from Arctic Circle to the North Cape....now, what is North Cape actually...there are several notions to which it may refer to, but in this case it refers to a small cape in Northern Norway in the municipality of Nordkaap. Its 307 m high, steep cliff is often referred to as the northernmost point of Europe, at 71° 10′ 21″ N, 25° 47′ 40″ E, 2102.3 km from the North Pole. However, the neighbouring point Knivskjellodden is actually 1,457 metres further north.
Moreover, both of these points are situated on an island, which means the northernmost point of mainland Europe is in fact Cape Nordkinn  about 20 km from the village of Mehamn.

huuh...reading about all this and watching pictures of it just makes my heart beat faster...i totally love this part of the world, thats for sure...but, trying to grasp the concept about the northenmost point of the world just gives me the butterflies in the stomach...makes me ache to go there...makes me ache to see the midnight sun and see how it feels...the northernmost point of the world...feels like an eternety...feels like a point of no return...feels like a point with a vast endless ocean ahead of it...feels like an eternal peace....feels like something i would sooo much want to visit one day and explore it in the meantime....

this postcard was on my wishlist....you would never be able to imagine my reaction when i actually saw it in my mailbox....i simply melted in excitement....thank you Marja soooooo soooo soooo much for this...youd never know how happy you made me :)

2 comments:

Sean McLachlan said...

Great postcard! I've always been intrigued by the Arctic too, even though I've never been further north than Uppsala, Sweden. I fly regularly between London and the U.S. and sometimes the route takes me over Greenland. It's such a beautiful sight with the fjords and glaciers and not a sign of human habitation. I'll get there some day!

Gone with postcrads said...

So cool! Wish you good luck in 2009!

Post a Comment